28 July, 2005

Be a witness

Lost Boys of Sudan was the first look I got at the personal and tragic repercussions of the, what is now realized as, genocide occurring in Sudan, specifically the Darfur region. How many times have I cursed at the news anchor that thinks Tom Cruise getting engaged or railing about Prozac is more important or more interesting than exposing the truth of what is happening? (or the hot weather, or the latest grossly overpaid sports "hero" under arrest for domestic violence, etc., etc.). Do the powers that be at NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, etc. really think that's all we care about? Apparently they do because they aren't telling us the real story about Sudan (or a lot of things- can I say "WMD?"). I just found this website. I can remember the call of the church in my earlier years urging me to "be a witness." Well, this is something to proclaim.

Go here for an opportunity to ask the major news organizations to not ignore this issue. Hopefully our government and world community will hear the call and stop ignoring it too.

I will just say this- The New Yorker wrote a good article last year about what is happening in Sudan. Kudos to them for speaking up. Let's hope others follow suit.

No comments: